Friday, July 25, 2008

Posture

I have bad posture when I'm sitting in a chair.

I never really noticed it while I was at the paper. I would sit on the edge of my seat at council/board meetings, ready to bolt as soon as the closing gavel hit the table. There was always a deadline looming (well, as much as there is for a weekly paper) or another meeting to run off to cover. When I was in the newsroom, I would fidget in my chair or see how far back I could lean and somehow balance evenly. Yes, I tend to get easily distracted.

Sitting in meetings now, I find myself still sitting like that, as if I have a deadline to hit. I'm in PR, and there's no real rush nowadays - and I have to remind myself that I have to stay for the entire meeting. No fake cell phone calls to get me out anymore.

Yesterday, I looked around to see how other people were sitting. Apparently, I was the only one in the room sitting like a basketball coach, ready to jump up at the next bad call from the ref. I tried to sit up, using the entire seat, with my back fully against the back of the chair and shoulders straight. That felt really weird, though, and I ended up slouching down again without realizing it.

I wonder if I can use some educational credits to enroll in a posture class ...

No comments: