Monday, July 28, 2008

Life without carbonation

I've been pop-free for 8 days.

Sure, it may seem like a small thing to some people, but it's really a big deal for me. No pop, no Slurpees, no mixed drinks. For those not familiar with "pop," perhaps you call it "soda" or "cola" - or some other weird variation on the theme. It's supposed to be called pop, for the record.

This past weekend, I drank about 10 to 12 glasses of water each day. I didn't really want it, but it kept me from bolting from the house and sticking my mouth under the fountain pop machine at the QD around the corner. The allure of hi fructose corn syrup is strong. Once she's got you hooked, she's a hard mistress to turn away. A dab of syrup, some all-forgiving carbonation and a pinch of flavor ... it's like the nectar of the gods. (And, in the case of the beloved Dr. Pepper, a pinch of 23 flavors. Mmmm....)

But, I'm on the end of the withdrawal. The shakes and cravings have stopped, and I'm not sitting in the parking lot of QD/Speedway/7-11 wondering if I can down a 44 oz. pop before I get home anymore. It will take a few more weeks to make sure that I've completely kicked the habit, but I'm hopeful I'll be strong enough this time.

What's the next poor eating habit I need to kick? Not sure ... I think one a season is the limit for me. Maybe I'll try to do away with chips in the fall.

1 comment:

Termione said...

PpShhchaw! Ah. The sound of my icy, glass bottled Coke opening... I love that you'll give up soda (it's soda pop, Will) but wouldn't dream of surrending beer.
Or did you?