Friday, June 20, 2008

Offices

Working at a newspaper, the hours were a bit odd. Sometimes you'd work very late, other days .... well, let's say things would even out.

Now that I'm working in a "real" office, the 8 to 5 schedule - going to meetings, sitting at a desk, always in the same building - can seem a bit odd. By "odd" I mean stifling. Yes, I know - many people work hard at an office every single day for their entire lives. I applaud those people but it's just not for me.

I think part of my unease about being inside all day comes from my dad. He worked for the state's Department of Transportation for 41 years. When I was younger, he told me he hated the days he had to go into the office. That was the day he'd have to fill out all of the paperwork and go to meetings. He would have much rather been out on the job, inspecting bridges or working with the crews.

At the paper, I set my own schedule. I'd work from home or on a laptop outdoors or at an establishment of my choice. I could conduct interview over the phone, do research and take photos - all without having to be in the office, meet with my bosses or get dragged into a discussion of which I want no part.

There were downsides to the newspaper job, of course, and I'll get used to the office.

But I still miss those "newspaper lunches" ...

1 comment:

Termione said...

Okay Jim Halbert-- so you're feeling a little stifled by office life? Find a Dwight to antagonize, a Pam to conspire with, and a Phyllis to keep you plied with cake.

Hang in there. As the love-child of Stanley and Pam I can tell you things could be worse.